This spring my sister and brother-in-law announced their excitement of getting a brand new play set for their kids. Having a large play set of our own for our son, we knew it would be such a joy and provide so many countless hours of entertainment through the years. What we could count was the number of “man” hours the play set said it would take to assemble: 22 hours! When we heard that figure, my handy-man of a husband was happy to plan a weekend trip to come help ease the load for their family.

Planning to be there for a three day stay to help with the playset and attend a nearby birthday party for another one of our nephews, we knew we wanted to bring along our trailer. It functions perfectly as spare bedrooms for our two-year-old son Nolan, my husband and I. My sister and brother-in-law are super accommodating with hospitality, but with our two nephews and our son running around, it was nice to have even more space during our stay.

We left early on a Friday morning and drove straight over. Once we were settled, my husband who was adjusting off of a night shift from work, quickly laid down for bed in our trailer while Nolan and I went inside to play with his cousins and Auntie, leaving my husband with a peaceful, quiet place to sleep in our trailer – away from the noise and busyness of three kids playing inside. Meanwhile the rest of us were free to enjoy our time without constantly trying to keep our kids quiet.

That afternoon, when my husband woke up, he got started on some ground work- getting wood chips for the play set area. While they weren’t much help, Nolan and his three-year-old cousin Titus, loved watching the wood chips get shoveled out of the back of the truck and quickly hurried to grab their own buckets and shovels to help scoop and spread the woodchips too. A big truck, tools, and a pile to play in made for two happy little boys.

When my brother-in-law got home from work, he quickly jumped in to work on the playset too. Then after grabbing some dinner and putting the three little ones to bed, the rest of us got back to work. With Nolan resting in the trailer I brought over the baby monitor to keep eyes and ears on our little man. Being 8 months pregnant at the time, I only got the easy jobs. I used the manual to start calling out which pieces we needed for the first steps, while the rest of the “team” opened the shipping boxes and began lifting and sorting each labeled piece of wood and hardware into organized piles in the yard.

When it got dark out, we enjoyed some time relaxing all together before calling it a night. My husband and I went out to the trailer to join Nolan who was quietly sleeping in his bed. The next morning we were able to sleep in for a bit before heading to our other nephew’s first birthday party, which was nearby. On the way we stopped at a yard to get another load of wood chips and Nolan was fascinated as he got to watch the giant front loader dump the woodchips in the back of Daddy’s truck. Nolan had a blast at the birthday party, but when we headed out we were past nap time. We drove back to my sister’s house and got an overtired Nolan down for a late nap in the trailer. We were thankful to have our own space so Nolan didn’t disrupt my napping nephews inside the house.

With the baby monitor in range and plenty of time left in the day, we set back to work on the playset. We were so thankful for the change in the weather forecast- from rain to clear skies. We couldn’t have asked for better weather for this special weekend project.

When the kids woke up from nap they enjoyed playing outside while my sister and I took turns watching them and helping our husbands with the playset. At the end of the day so much progress had been made, but there was still much to do the following day.

We woke up to clear skies again and got back to work as soon as we were able. We even had extra help as my husband’s parents came over to lend their helping hands. With cold sweet tea and warm cookies for a mid afternoon snack, the team ended up getting the whole thing done by early evening. Then came the fun part of celebrating with pizza and play time. The kids were so excited to test out the new playset, and us parents loved watching them enjoy themselves so much! From the swings, to the rock wall, to the slide, the kids happily enjoyed the labor of love poured out into the playset.

Then, before it got too late for Nolan’s bedtime, we loaded up my husband’s tools and our other belongings, buttoned up the trailer, kenneled the cat, and headed for home. At the end of a trip like this I’m just so incredibly thankful to have our trailer. It gives us extra space, it’s pre-loaded with all our necessities, it’s got perfect napping and sleeping quarters to meet the needs of our whole family and it even eliminates the need for a pet sitter since we can bring our cat with us. Bringing our trailer along for the weekend of building the playset allowed us to be more of a help and less of a hindrance- not requiring as many accommodations from my brother-in-law and sister. I will always be thankful for the way our trailer can automatically become the “spare bedroom” wherever we go.

Now off to go pack for our next fun adventure. Wishing all the best to you and your family.

Emily Helgeson
Author: Emily HelgesonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Emily Helgeson lives with her husband and two children in Eastern Washington. They enjoy adventuring together and are learning how to use their RV to continue this lifestyle with their growing family.

Add comment

Security code

More share buttons